2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons skim milk (1 percent milk fat)
1 ounce semisweet chocolate, grated (reserve 1 teaspoon for garnish)
1 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
10 ice cubes
6 egg whites
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
3/4 cup thawed frozen milk shake topping, divided
1. In 1-quart saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over milk and let sit for 1 minute to soften; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until gelatin is completely dissolved, about 1 minute.
2. Add chocolate, espresso powder and vanilla; cook, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the ice cubes and enough cold water to cover.
4. Transfer the chocolate mixture to a medium bowl.
5. Place bowl of chocolate mixture in bowl of ice water and let stand, stirring frequently with a rubber scraper, until mixture is cool to the touch and has the consistency of egg whites, about 2 minutes.
6. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, in a large bowl beat the egg whites and sugar until soft peaks form; set aside.
7. Remove bowl of chocolate mixture from ice water.
8. Using a rubber spatula, mix 1/4 cup of whipped topping with chocolate mixture; Incorporate 1/4 cup of whipped topping.
9. Stir in the beaten egg whites, one third at a time.
10. Pour an equal amount of the mousse mixture into eight 6-ounce dessert plates.
11. Refrigerate overnight or at least 2 hours.
12. To serve, top each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoon remaining whipped topping and 1/8 teaspoon reserved chocolate.
Makes 8 servings
Easy weight loss diet