There are various reasons behind a dry and flaky scalp. The main causes of dry and flaky scalp are bad hair products. You can get rid of this by using TLC and other quality products. Small white flakes due to dry scalp can appear on the head, hairline, ear or back of the neck which looks very unsightly.
Dandruff also occurs due to dry and flaky scalp and sometimes results in a type of eczema called seborrheic eczema which irritates the skin. Scalp psoriasis is also the cause of scaling.
How to treat scalp scaling?
You can get rid of flaky scalp with good hair care. Here are some of the best tips to reduce flaky scalp.
1. The first thing is to choose the right shampoo for your hair type and wash it properly. Regular use of shampoo can help reduce flakes on the scalp.
2. Avoid excessive use of hair dryer and curling iron as it makes the scalp dry and causes flaking on the scalp. So dry your wet hair naturally.
3. Massage your scalp regularly for better blood circulation as it helps to loosen dead cells and reduce them easily.
4. Get an oil treatment at least once a week. Olive oil is the best for scalp treatment. Rub the oil on your scalp and cover your head with a towel for 30 minutes. Then rinse with lukewarm water and shampoo. This keeps your scalp clean and away from flakes.
5. Do not expose your head to sunlight and cover your head when you go out.
6. If home treatment doesn’t work for you, see a dermatologist immediately for medical treatment for dry scaly scalp.
However, the best solution to get rid of flakes on your scalp is to moisturize your hair and scalp regularly. You also need to protect your scalp from sun rays and dust to reduce flaky scalp.
Get rid of split ends
Split ends usually appear on dry hair. It is one of the common hair problems. Split ends can be avoided with proper care and treatment. Regular trimming is the best way to get rid of split ends.
Hair is made up of 3 different layers: outer layer, middle layer, and inner layer. The outermost layer is called the cuticle which contains dead cells. The cuticle helps protect the middle layer called the cortex which is made up of long, coiled proteins. A split end occurs when the cuticle is damaged at the end of a strand.
Prevention of split ends
There are several ways to prevent split ends. Here are some great tips and ideas.
- Don’t shampoo your hair every day. It makes your hair unhealthy and damaged. Apply conditioner after shampooing your hair as it makes your hair shiny and smooth.
- Do not use hair dryer to dry hair. Simply cover your wet hair with a towel and blow dry naturally.
- Never brush or comb your hair when it is wet. Also use a wide tooth comb to brush your hair when it dries. Don’t brush your hair more times. It can damage your hair.
- Avoid over processing your hair like coloring, bleaching, perming, etc. These damage the outer layer of your hair and cause split ends.
- Always protect your hair from the sun’s rays. Excessive exposure to sunlight can weaken, break and dry out hair.
Split ends treatment
The first thing is that you need to trim your hair immediately when you find the split ends. Use leave-in hair conditioner to get rid of split ends. With proper care and treatment you can eliminate split ends and achieve healthy, shiny hair.