What is a press release? It is a letter that is sent to the media, such as newspapers, magazines, radio and television about your business.
Exposing your business to the media through a press release can be a very effective advertising method. The media, such as newspapers and television, depend on press releases to deliver interesting stories to their customers.
The media is all over the internet, so why not take the time to interest them in your business? Read a few press releases before you start writing your own. It’s important to use the correct format, so visit free-press-release.com and prbuzz.com for some great examples.
Writing a press release is very different from writing an article. A press release should be brief, but include enough information that a journalist can write a short article using only the information you provide. It should not be an advertisement or a sales brochure.
Here are some tips for writing press releases:
1. A press release should look and sound like news.
2. Send your press release only to media related to your topic.
3. Keep your press releases brief. No more than one page in length.
4. The top of your release should contain your contact information and the date.
5. Try to use short sentences and double space between lines.
6. Capture your readers’ attention with your headline and opening sentences.
7. Include the basics: who, what, where, when, and why from the start. Get to your point right away.
8. Make sure there are no grammar or spelling errors. Check over and over again.
9. End your press release with a summary.
Anyone can distribute a press release, but to be successful, a press release must appeal to a wide audience, be professional, and above all, it must be valuable news. Press release marketing can be one of the most cost-effective and powerful forms of advertising available today. A well-written informative press release will help show your readers that you know about your business and will also help promote your company or website.
Many entrepreneurs think that their online business is not newsworthy.
What could you consider newsworthy?
– A new service or product that you are offering on your website.
– The results of an online survey.
– A new website.
– An online award that your website or business has won.
– A new ezine or newsletter you are publishing.
– Any gift you may be offering.
– A new e-book you wrote.
A news story can generate more business than any other form of advertising. If your first try doesn’t get much attention, keep trying until you find the right combination.
Writing a press release is something you have to learn. The more you practice, the better you will do.
Develop your writing skills, tell a story about something you love, like your business, and the rewards can be huge.
Copyright 2007 Joe Rispoli